25 Years of Unicode
UTC (Unicode Technical Committee) #146 meeting that was hosted by IBM in San José from January 25th through 28th, 2016.
For UTC #147, which is being hosted by Adobe this week again in San José, and which is the UTC meeting that takes place right before the release of Unicode Version 9.0, I decided to continue celebrating this important milestone by preparing another cake, whose design is shown below:
I ordered the cake from C'est Si Bon Bakery in San José, who did a great job screening the edible image onto it, and the L2 Chair, Craig Cummings, supplied the obligatory bottles of :
The following are the non-ASCII characters that were used on the cake: ㉕ (U+3255) and 丫㠪凡尺丂 (U+4E2B U+382A U+51E1 U+5C3A U+4E02). The latter string was generated using Dr. Richard Cook's ABC2CJK Translation Service, and represents the word YEARS.
Of course, Unicode President and co-founder, Mark Davis, was present at this week's UTC meeting, and Lee Collins happened to attend on the day that we enjoyed the cake:
In closing, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the hosts for UTC #148 and #149 later this year, Microsoft and Apple, respectively, continue this celebratory spirit.
- ·Japanese Typography Writing System
- ·XUID Arrays: One Less Thing To Worry About
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger
- ·Ad for Hello Dummy! by Don Rickles
- ·Linotype Ad: "Linotype vs. Intertype"
- ·Ad for Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
- ·Cher Got Sued For Font!
- ·Jim Nutt: Coming Into Character at Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
- ·Königsblut identity
- ·Quimbaya Coffee Roasters